Canadian Customers

November 4th, 2016 by


Mercedes-Benz of Lynnwood is happy to assist our Canadian customers with their Used Car purchase saving you time and money. All vehicle sales must be Pre-Owned. According to regulations set forth by the manufacturer, new models may only be sold by U.S. dealers to U.S. customers.To start the export process we will need three forms of proof that you live outside Washington State. Acceptable forms include a Driver’s License, Voter’s registration card, hunting and/or fishing license, or a utility bill. This will exempt you from Washington State Sales Tax.Once you select the right pre-owned car for you, we will agree on the figures and overnight you all the necessary forms you will need to complete the transaction. All you need to do is to sign and return to us via mail or courier, to make the process faster.You will then need to pay for the car via wire transfer. This is simple and straightforward. The vehicle must be paid for in full before it leaves our location and we must be able to verify receipt of your wire.Please make sure that your province doesn’t require any equipment that our vehicle may not have – daytime running lights are required in most if not all provinces, and engine block heaters are required in some.

Please inquire further by using our contact us form, or send us an email about any one of our vehicles.

Export Process:

U.S. Customs & Border Protection
Vehicle Export Enforcement
9901 Pacific Highway
Blaine, WA 98230-9299

Export Hours: 8:00am – 3:30pm Monday-Friday

Phone: (360) 332-2632
Fax: Not Available

Required Documents

These Documents must be on file with our office for 3-business days prior to export!!!

  1. U.S. Customs & Border Protection Vehicle Export Worksheet The Export worksheet MUST now include the ITN (Internal Transaction Number) which is generated in AES (Automated Export System) to a shipment confirming that EEI (Electronic Export Information) was accepted and on file in the AES. If you cannot gain access to AES, you may need to contact a customs broker. For a list of local brokers, see website below: See attachment for more information on the ITN.
  2. Title/Certificate of Ownership
  3. Bill of Sale or Invoice

Once all of the required documents have been obtained, hand deliver, or scan and e-mail them to our office three days prior to actually exporting the vehicle to Canada. During the export process, which starts when the paperwork is submitted, the vehicle MUST remain inside the United States and may NOT be taken to Canada.

The 3-business days are calculated from the time that we receive the export application. Applications received after 3:30pm will not be processed until the following business day.

Remember, the vehicle must be in the United States for the 3-business days. There are no exceptions to this requirement. If it is discovered that the vehicle did not remain in the United States after the export application was submitted, the exporter is subject to penalty and monetary fines, as well as seizure of the vehicle. So do NOT take the vehicle outside of the United States once the application is submitted.

If the vehicle is already outside the United States and an export is required, the vehicle must be brought back to the United States prior to the application being submitted and it must remain inside the United States for the 3-business days, plan accordingly. Again, weekends and holidays do NOT count towards the 3-business day requirement.

Checking Status

After emailing the export application to our office, send us an e-mail requesting the receipt of your export application. Send the e-mail to: In the e-mail, ensure the following information is included:

  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • VIN (Vehicle Identification Number)
  • State the vehicle is titled in (this is not always where the vehicle was purchased)

If you are unable to contact our office via e-mail, you may call our office at (360) 332-2632 and leave a message. In the message include the following information:

  • Year
  • Make
  • Model
  • State the vehicle is titled in (this is not always where the vehicle was purchased)

Date of Export

After the 3-business day requirement has been met and your vehicle has been cleared for export, bring the vehicle and all of the original documents that had been previously submitted. That would be:

  • Title / Certificate of Origin
  • Bill-of-sale / Gift letter
  • Vehicle Export Worksheet

Present these documents to our office during our normal business hours. These hours are 8:00 am – 3:30 pm Monday through Friday, excluding US Federal holidays.


To get to our office, exit Interstate 5 (I-5) at exit 275 and proceed on to Route 543 through two stoplights, Boblett Street and H Street. After the second light, continue up and over a small hill. There is a pull out on the right side of the road for truck parking, which you will enter into and park all vehicles for export (this is before you reach the duty free stores). Park your vehicle and walk down the hill, across the street to the U.S. Customs and Border Protection building (U.S. Export Office). Our office is located on the left side of the lobby, just past the first counter. You may also park at the Kiosk if you are a Nexus member.

Frequently Asked Questions

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions we received. If your question is not answered then please feel free to contact us via e-mail or phone.

  1. What fees must I pay to export my vehicle?
    U.S. Customs and Border Protection does NOT have any fees for vehicle export.
  2. Do I need original documents at the time of application for export?
    When you submit the application to our office, it is NOT necessary to send us the originals. A copy of all the required documents is sufficient to start the process.
  3. What if I don’t have the original title?
    You will need to get one.
  4. Do I need to have the title issued in my name?
    No. It is unnecessary for you to have title issued in your name. All that is required is to have the original title and a legal transfer of ownership (bill-of-sale).
  5. Can I park my vehicle at the U.S. Customs and Border Protection parking lot for the 72 hour period?
    No. Your vehicle may be towed at your expense if you attempt to do this.
  6. Can I have the vehicle export office make copies of my documents when I submit my application?
    No, due to the volume of applications we receive, we are unable to make copies.
  7. What happens if I have already taken my car to Canada and need to export it?
    You will have to bring the vehicle back to the United States and submit the application to export. The vehicle must then stay inside the United States until the 72-business hours have elapsed and your vehicle has been cleared for export or the exporter is subject to an administrative penalty.
  8. What if I cannot get to your office during your normal business hours?
    We would suggest that you either, have someone you trust export the vehicle during our normal business hours, or you can pay a company to export it. If our office is closed when you arrive, then you must leave the vehicle inside the United States and return the next business day.
  9. Can I take my vehicle to Canada during the export process?
    No. You cannot take your vehicle to Canada until the 72-hour requirement has been met and you have presented the vehicle and original documents for inspection. If you take your vehicle to Canada prior to getting the title stamped, you will be subject to an administrative penalty and possibly the vehicle being seized.
  10. Is this process required for my boat, trailer, travel trailer or 5th wheel?
    No. We will only export land based, self propelled vehicles.
  11. What is required at the time of export?
    You must have ORIGINAL documents at the time of export. We will NOT accept copies of the title or MSO at the time of export. The vehicle must be taken to Canada after you complete the U.S. export process.
Posted in Uncategorized